Saturday, July 30, 2022

Lofton's 18th Birthday









When I was pregnant with Lofton, I read on a friend's blog that "The days are long but the years are short."  I've always realized the truth behind this statement, but this year, its truth hit me hard.  It is hard to fathom that Lofton is 18.  I recently put all of our old home movies on DVD, and I've been watching them, and oh how I wish I could relive some of those sweet days.  When Lofton was little, he loved to be outside.  He loved to go to the creek.  He loved to go to the park.  We spent our days outside.  He still appreciates and loves the outdoors. This summer, he's spent a lot of time fishing and golfing.  

He started playing sports when he was about 3; he played baseball, soccer, and basketball as a little guy.  Now, football and wrestling are his passions.  I LOVE to watch him do both.  

Lofton is a great kid.  He loves the Lord and is kind to others.  When he was little, he had a heart for others.  He has always been compassionate, and he still is today.  He is great with little kids; they love being around him because he values them and pays attention to them.  

When Lofton was little, he couldn't wait until his birthday party.  We had some great themes for his parties:  Bob the Builder, Karate, Super Heroes.  Now, however, Lofton doesn't like the attention.  As much as I wanted to have him a party, I realized that it was more for me and not what he truly wanted.  So, we just took him and Caroline to eat Japanese and icecream, and then when the Griffins got back in town, we went to eat Mexican with them and Will Sawyer, and they came over and played corn hole- which we played quite a bit this summer. 

I hope that the days and year ahead go slowly.  I want to soak it all up.  I can't believe he is about to be a senior.  I am so happy that I didn't start him in kindergarten until he was six because I have another year with him:  I just hope the year doesn't fly by. 

 

No comments: