Monday, August 20, 2012

Harry Potter, Eat Your Heart Out!

Harry Potter's got nothing on Lofton and his new glasses! Lofton looks super cute in his new pair though when we were picking them out he asked if they kinda looked like Harry's! We were recently told at Lofton's 8 year check up that he had failed his eye exam. I took him to an eye doctor in town, and he confirmed that Lofton has 20/20 vision in his right eye but 20/50 in his left. He also has an astigmatism. I was shocked. He'd never once given me any inclination that he couldn't see well. Though the doctor said that he has used his right eye; it's compensated for his left. After revealing all of Landon's eye issues to the doctor, he was surprised that we hadn't been recommended to take Lofton for an eye exam. If we'd have gotten glasses on him sooner, his vision may have improved with glasses. If only we'd known. I have to ask why is it not recommended that kids are taken for an eye exam every year especially when we were told that kids with Lofton's same problems slip through the cracks undeteced all the time since the one eye is stronger. We take our kids to the dentist twice a year and to the pediatrician for a yearly visit, why not the eye doctor? Anyways, enough of my pondering though this is my journal for my memories' sake. I will just say I am thrilled that we caught the problem, that he has new glasses that he loves, and that he looks pretty darn cute in them, don't ya think?

No comments: